Mary R. Dawson Grant
The Mary R. Dawson Predoctoral Fellowship Grant recognizes and supports graduate student research excellence. This award recognizes research excellence and promote a successful career in Vertebrate Paleontology by supporting the recipient’s dissertation research travel, data collection and analyses. Learn more about Dr. Dawson.
© Michael Skrepnick
- Current membership in SVP is required. You will not be able to apply for the award unless your membership is current in the system.
- The applicant must be a PhD candidate (i.e., completed qualifying exam or equivalent) at time of application.
- The successful applicant will be chosen on the basis of scholarly contribution of the proposed project, excellence in student professional activities, and leadership and promise of a productive and important professional role in Vertebrate Paleontology.
How to Apply
Please utilize the SVP online award submission system to apply. Any materials sent by e-mail, fax or mail will NOT be reviewed. Once you click "submit" the award application is complete so be sure to double check that all fields and uploads are exactly as you wish BEFORE clicking "submit". Be sure to name all uploaded documents with your name and a description of the attachment (ie John Smith Photo). Have the following items ready when you submit your application:
- Detailed description of dissertation research project (three pages, single-spaced maximum) Include the hypotheses you aim to test and proposed methods, the intellectual merit of the proposed research and its broader relevance to advancing the field of Vertebrate Paleontology, and a brief outline of organization of the research, the timetable and logistics of your proposed project. Proposals that exceed the page limit will be automatically rejected.
- Budget and Justification Document (one page maximum) Include a breakdown of how the Dawson $3,000 award would be used and a list of other research support (current and applied for), travel expenses, permit costs, professional expenses, supplies, additional expenses.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Literature Cited
- Advisor Letter of Support with full contact information and a statement that the applicant has been admitted to candidacy for a PhD (or equivalent).
- Non-Advisor Letter of Support with full contact information
- Nominee Photo
Award applications are now closed for 2013. Check back for 2014 early next year.
Dr. Richard Blob
Department of Biological Sciences
Clemson, SC, USA
View past award winners