About Dallas

Dallas is the ninth largest city in the nation, covering approximately 343 square miles.  A modern and sophisticated city, Dallas, is the number one visitor and leisure destination in Texas.  Throughout the city, visitors can enjoy shopping, four and five start hotels and restaurants, as well as the largest urban arts district in the nation.  Here you will be able to get a true taste of Southern hospitality.


Meeting Location

The Meeting will take place at the Hyatt Regency Dallas. The hotel’s convenient location and ideal transportation connections make it easy to reach by both car and when using public transportation.


Group rates have been secured at the Hyatt Regency Dallas for SVP 2015 meeting attendees at discounted rates. Reservation and contact information will be provided in the first circular and posted on this site in March 2015.


Visitor’s Information

To learn more about Dallas and its “hot spots,” please visit http://www.visitdallas.com/. While at the meeting, you may also visit the Concierge Desk at the Hyatt Regency Dallas for information on tours, restaurants, and other attractions.


General Information

Banking and Foreign Exchange

The official currency in the United States is US Dollars. The US Dollar ($) is divided into 100 cents; notes are in denominations of $100, 50, 20, 10, 5, and 1. Banking hours in the United States are generally Monday through Friday, 09:00 – 17:00. A few banks are open on Saturdays as well. You can withdraw money from ATM bank machines using your credit card and make purchases in stores and restaurants. Signs display accepted credit cards or you can ask the retailer. Check with your local financial institution to verify if you are able to use your home bank card or credit card prior to travel.
ATM bank machine service is available in the Convention Center.  There are also
International Currency Converters:



With an average high temperature of 76 degrees Fahrenheit and an average low of 55 degrees Fahrenheit, Dallas is a great location to visit year round.  In October, the average rainfall is 3.5 inches and average temperature is 56-79 degrees Fahrenheit.


Dialing Codes

The International access code for the United States is 1. The area code in Dallas is 214. While in the United States, you can call the directory information service number 411 for assistance in finding a phone number. Calls to area codes 800, 877, and 866 are toll-free in the United States. To make an international call, dial 011 followed by the country code, city code, and telephone number.


Eating Out

Although Dallas is known for Texan favorites like steak houses, barbecue, and Tex Mex, it surprises visitors with fresh seafood, eclectic bistros, and worldly cuisine from Brazilian to Indian.  Use this handy guide to find exactly what you’re looking for.



Voltage in the United States is 120 voltage (60 HZ). Outlet sockets use either a Type A plug which is a class II ungrounded plug with two flat parallel prongs, or a Type B plug which is a class I plug with two flat parallel prongs and a grounding pin.


The official language of the meeting is English.  Translation service will not be provided.

Letters of Invitation

For security purposes, letters of invitation can only be sent to individuals registered for the Meeting.  To request a letter of invitation please contact meetings@vertpaleo.org.


Name Badge

The SVP badge must be worn at all times for admission to the scientific sessions, exhibits, and social events.


Smoking Policy

In Dallas, smoking is prohibited in all indoor and enclosed areas in the city including workplaces, within 15 feet of any entrance to an indoor or closed area, and in any area designated as nonsmoking by the owner, operator, or person in control of the area and marked with a no smoking sign.  Please click here for more informatio


The current total sales tax rate in Dallas is 8.250%.



Restaurant prices do not generally include a service charge, unless dining with a large group. It is customary to leave a tip of 15-20%.



Transportation to Dallas

Visitors to Dallas have access to more than 15 airports including international/national airports and regional/private jet facilities.  Dallas has also constructed the world’s largest urban elevated heliport.

Dallas/Forth Worth International Airport

The Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport is located approximately 22 miles from the Hyatt Regency Dallas, SVP 2015’s headquarters hotel.  It is the primary international airport serving the Dallas/Fort Worth area and the largest hub for American Airlines. The airport is served by the Trinity Railway Express commuter rail line and the Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART).

Dallas Love Field
Located in the heart of Dallas,
Love Field is both a convenient and efficient airport, served by Southwest Airlines, Virgin America Airlines, United Airline, Seaport Airlines, and Delta Airlines.  Rental car, airport shuttle, and taxi cab services are available from the airport to your hotel.  Public transportation is also provided by the Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART).  Dallas Love Field is approximately 6 miles from the Hyatt Regency Dallas.

Transportation in Dallas

DART With 65 rail stations and 13 bus transfer facilities, your DART pass is like a key to the city, providing transportation to hotels, restaurants, attractions, and shopping destinations. DART buses and trains operate daily from approximately 5:00 a.m. until midnight.  DART Rail offers service every 7½-15 minutes during rush hours, and 20 minutes during the midday and weekends, and 30 minutes late at night. Bus schedules vary by neighborhood. Use the DART Trip Planner to schedule your routes.


D-Link is a special service from DART that lets you explore the districts of downtown Dallas and historic Oak Cliff.  Buses run every 15 minutes from 11:00 a.m. until 11:30 p.m., Monday thru Saturday.

Free Trolley

The M-Line’s air-conditioned and heated, restored vintage trolleys operate 365 days a year, providing clean, reliable, and convenient public transportation for free in Dallas’ vibrant Uptown Neighborhood.  Click here for schedules and routes.



Dallas includes Interstate 35, which extends from the U.S.-Mexico border to Duluth, Minnesota, and Interstate 20, which connects Interstate 10 in western Texas to Interstate 95 in Florence, South Carolina, Both interstates pass through Dallas.  Click here for driving directions to Dallas and parking information in the city.


Visitors can enjoy Forth Worth, in neighboring Tarrant County, via a connector to Tthe rinity Railway Express.  Click here for more information on light rail and buses in Dallas.


The metro area offers many car rental options such as Avis, Advantage, Enterprise, and Hertz.  Yellow Checker Shuttle provides a variety of vehicles suited to your specific needs. Several cab companies with thousands of cabs are equipped with GPS for quick response times.  Please check here for a list of companies and their contact information.



Please visit the International Visitors Office website at http://www.nationalacademies.org/visas for information. Travelers are advised to apply for a visa as early as possible.  Please check with your local U.S. consulate or embassy to find out the earliest that you may apply for a visa www.usembassy.gov/.

The Society of Vertebrate Paleontology is a non-profit organization dedicated to professional vertebrate paleontology. Please view our policy page here.
© The Society of Vertebrate Paleontology.
Questions about the Web site? Contact the editor